Self Reflection #3

Although I am not particularly passionate about any real world issue, I am adamant about how STEM education should be further implemented in more schools. After having been a part of FIRST and robotics programs, I grew very involved in how STEM activities and how STEM affects students. I learned more about how students can be affected by STEM education and how beneficial it is to use in schools. Even through my short experience taking STEM classes and in robotics, I could see the importance of it and experienced the benefits myself. I was more engaged in the classroom and got better grades in those classes, and I was very involved and passionate about robotics.

One of Immanuel Kant’s main points is, “we must always treat people as ends not means.” I feel as though this is saying that we should never use people to achieve our end goals and instead, our end goals should be to affect the lives of others and that our end goals should be those people. This connects to STEM education in that no matter what it takes to get to my end goal, the end goal will be helping others and providing better education for others. The means to get there are not through using others, but by working with others and collaborating. This also connects to some of my higher morals of helping others and selflessness.

My top five Talent Themes are Communication, Includer, Futuristic, Belief, and Relator. I can see that all of these closely relate to STEM education and my goal of spreading it. Communication relates to it in the sense that to achieve my goal while sticking to my morals, being personable with others and communicating is integral. This allows me to create more connections and have more people I can work with to get to the end. By being an includer, I can make sure I empower everyone that I work with and be sure everyone is valued. I tend to look towards the future a lot and dream big. As of right now, I have little to no idea on how I will push for STEM education more, but I know I want to do it. My end goal of helping others closely relates to my Belief talent in that one of my core beliefs is that you should be selfless and help others when you can (while still taking care of yourself, of course). My final talent, Relator, connects back to Communication in that they both help me to build closer relationships and work with others. Informational power connects to this the most because in order to achieve the goal and the means to an end, you need to gather and provide all the information needed.

Using all of this information (talents, ethics, morals, power) I can better lead others to the end goal and in thinking about those things, I can be a better leader in general. Using the Relational Leadership Model, you connect it with social responsibility. In being a member of society you should keep in mind and value each of the components closely. The most important of these I feel are ethics and inclusive. Including others and building a sense of community is what makes a society a society, and keeping your own ethics as so to keep your humanity.